Tom

Tom
The Sun

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Hallelujah ...... for Tom

When I really want to feel how much it hurts to miss you, I listen to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".  It isn't something I choose to do.  Usually it just happens....shows up somewhere in my daily life....

and brings me to my knees.  Like a blow to the heart that takes your breath away.  And reminds you....

that someone you loved your whole life is forever not here, and that part of your heart will always feel empty.

After ten years, you'd think all of those platitudes about time healing wounds would be true.  But they're not.  I think time just wraps you in the cocoon of daily life and you get used to your limping, sad heart.  

But then a day comes when the song appears, forcing you to feel again.  To grieve and mourn and cry.

When this happens to me, I listen to every version of the song I can find, and sit at my desk and cry.

The song carries me into my broken heart and forces me to look around and remember you, my precious brother, the life we had together, the kinship and soul connection, years of laughter and shared sorrow, joys and songs and phone calls and letters and everything that bonded us, like twins born 18 months apart.  

I want to miss you.  I want to feel the pain.  

And I'm grateful for the poignant and soaring song that gives me that gift, and the man who wrote it.

Here are just some of the versions I've found today....

No comments:

Post a Comment

To leave a comment, please choose an option below. (Note that if you choose NAME/URL you can leave the URL line blank).